Saturday, August 31, 2013

"Broken Hallelujah"

You know the things that have brought me here
You know the story of every tear
'cause You've been here from the very start
and even though i don't know what Your plan is
i know You make beauty from these ashes
i've seen joy and i've seen pain
and on my knees i call Your name
here's my broken hallelujah
with nothing left to hold on to
i raise these empty hands to You
here's my broken hallelujah 
--broken hallelujah, the afters

Sometimes when I'm going through something, I try to find some Christian music to listen to because that always cheers me up. I wanted to share it, but I had trouble deciding between a few songs. But when things get tough and I remember this song, I always fall back on Broken Hallelujah by The Afters. But that's not why I'm writing this up.

Our days on this earth are numbered and only God knows exactly how much time we have to spend here. We don't know how long we have, or how long someone we love has. We'll never know how much time we'll have to tell someone we love them, but sometimes we think we have all the time in the world, and then, one day, they're gone. Just like that, they're gone. It's unexpected. We never saw it coming, and everything was normal, until suddenly, they're gone.

And then other times, someone we love has an illness, something that can't be treated. And we know there's a day coming when they won't be here any more. Time is running out and there's nothing that can be done to stop it, no way to go back and change it. You just have to keep going forward, not trying to think about it.

But it doesn't have to be like that. There's no reason to pretend to be happy even in these trials, because there is hope, and that hope is God. He sent His son to die on the cross for our sins, so if we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, we can see our loved ones again in heaven, and that's the greatest hope we have. My mom's parents passed away some time before I was born, and she always told me that she was at peace with it, because she said there's no sadness in heaven, so her parents don't miss her. Saying it like that might make it sound even worse, but they're not sad that they were separated. They're in heaven, worshiping God and being happy. They don't have to put up with the sorrows and pains of this world.

It's a hard concept to grasp, not missing someone because they're in heaven not missing you. I still miss my mom. I think about her and cry because I miss her. She isn't here, she's in heaven where she isn't in pain anymore. She's overjoyed and ecstatic. She doesn't have to put up with the things she put up with here. She doesn't have the limitations that she had here. She's happy.

And the most wonderful thing about heaven is, that, if we've accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior, we'll go to heaven and have eternal life, and the loved ones we lost here and had to try to find a way to live without--well, we'll see them again. That hope is the best hope that there is. The people we lose here will be waiting for us in heaven.

God truly is the greatest hope, because He sent His son to die on the cross for our sins, and without Jesus Christ in our hearts, we wouldn't be able to have the hope of seeing our loved ones in heaven again. And for me, that's the greatest thing, seeing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment